I've actually been seeing a lot of snickerdoodle recipes floating around on blogs so I wanted to do something a little different. I decided to substitute some of the granulated sugar with brown sugar because brown sugar is awesome, meaning brown sugar snickerdoodles would be doubley awesome.
As I mentioned, this will make about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 dozen cookies! Some to give away and some to keep for you! I like packing them in cute take out containers to give away. :o)
Brown Sugar Snickerdoodles
Adapted from Sunset Cookies
For the cookies
1 cup butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 plus 1/3 cup dark brown sugar (or light brown sugar if you'd rather! Also I think think this is 1 1/6 cup...clearly not my strength...sorry for the crazy measurements!)
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar (or light brown, again)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter
- Add the sugars and beat until creamy
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until combined
- In a separate small bowl, combine the cinnamon, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Mix until combined. Use your fingers if you have to to break up the clumps of brown sugar
- Roll 1 inch dough balls in the cinnamon and sugar mixture, and place on an ungreased cookie sheet at least 2 inches apart
- Bake about 12 minutes or until lightly browned
- Let cool on baking sheets slightly before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.