They turned out sticky and fudgey, cutting was an adventure, I ended up removing them from the pan a cutting board and bringing the knife straight down to cut them since dragging the knife through just made them crumbley due to the caramel swirls. :o)
Cocoa Caramel Swirl Brownies
Adapted from Wild About Brownies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup caramel liqueur (I used Baileys)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
About 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square baking pan. Line bottom with parchment paper, letting paper slightly hang over two edges (good for lifting brownies out to cut).
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix together the sugar, eggs, oil and caramel liqueur with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the cocoa and extracts.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Distribute the two tablespoons of caramel sauce over top of the brownies and use a knife to draw in all sorts of fun swirls.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the brownie portion comes out almost clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack then remove using parchment paper. Easiest to place on a large cutting board and use the knife to cut straight down to cut the brownies into squares.
- Store in an airtight container at room temp.