The original recipe calls for Amaretto which usually I'm all for, but I didn't have any on hand. Someone must have drank it all...hmm... I've noted the substitution below! Also I suggest increasing the streusel topping, I wish I'd had more, so I've bumped it up in the recipe below. It's hard to have too much crumb topping. :o)
Apple Almond Streusel Mini Muffins
Adapted from ButterYum
For the streusel topping
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch extra ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons sliced or finely chopped almonds
3 tablespoons butter, chilled
For the muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon almond extract OR 2 tablespoons amaretto (almond liqueur)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup finely chopped apple apples
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Make the streusel topping
- In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and almonds.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter, fork or by hand until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place in fridge until ready to use.
Make the muffins
- Preheat to 350F and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- In a second small bowl, combine apples and 1 tablespoon flour and also set aside for later.
- In a third small bowl, combine sour cream and milk and set aside for later.
- In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter.
- Add the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add almond extract (or Amaretto), vanilla extract, and egg and beat until well blended.
- With the mixer on slow, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 of the sour cream mixture, the another 1/3 of the flour flour, then the remaining 1/2 sour cream, and finally the remaining 1/3 flour mixture.
- Stir in apples and spoon into prepared pan.
- Go get your streusel topping and sprinkle it generously on top of the unbaked muffins.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.