Caramel Apple Cookies
Adapted from Bakers Royale
1 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 sticks butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup diced apples (4 oz.)
3/4 cup chopped salted roasted almonds
1/2 cup toffee bits (chopped butterscotch chips?)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper (not essential, but it helps)
- Whisk flour and baking soda together and set aside.
- Heat 10 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat until melted about 2 minutes. Continue stirring for another 1-3 minutes until brown and there is a nutty aroma. Remove from heat. Pour heated butter through a sieve into a heat proof bowl. Stir in remaining butter until completely melted.
- Add both sugars, salt and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully combined.
- Add egg and egg yolk, whisk until mixture is smooth and no sugar lumps remains.
- Let mixture stand for 3 minutes then whisk for another 30 seconds.
- Repeat step four 2 more times until mixture is thick and shiny. The butter will start to firm up as it cools and come more to resemble cookie batter
- Stir in flour mixture until combined.
- Stir in apples, roasted almonds and toffee bits combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form cookies. Place dough 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies one tray at a time, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking. Bake until cookies are golden brown and still puffy. Approximately 10-14 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheets set on wire rack before removing to wire rack to cool completely