Pumpkin Angel Food Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze
Adapted from Divine Baking and Grin and Bake It
For the cake
1 1/2 cups egg whites (from about 12 eggs), at room temperature
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/8 cups cake flour, sifted
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment whip the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue whipping until soft peaks form.
- With the mixer running on high, gradually add 1 cup of the granulated sugar and continue whipping until stiff and the sugar has dissolved, about 30 seconds more.
- Sift the remaining 1/4-cup of granulated sugar with the sifted cake flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- Gently fold into the egg whites taking care not to over mix. Don't let the egg whites completely collapse.
- Fold in the vanilla and pumpkin.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased angel food pan.
- Bake until light golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Flip the pan and cake upside down around the neck of a bottle until cooled completely.
- Run a long, sharp knife blade around the cake to loosen, then knock the cake out onto a plate.
1/4 cup butter, unsalted
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4 - 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
- In heavy small saucepan melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter over medium-low heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add 1/2 cup whipping cream and return to boiling.
- Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 to 3/4 tsp. sea salt and cinnamon.
- Cool completely and pour over cake