Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Watermelon Sorbet

Well, this tastes refreshing and lovely. Which is some consolation that it takes a great deal of effort to scoop it out of the container. :o/ Yeah...I did it again...

Watermelon Sorbet

I've been struggling with frozen treats freezing too solid. I believe my issue here was that I didn't let the mixture cool to room temp before bothering to process it in my ice cream maker. As a result, it took longer to freeze, and warmed up the bowl so it wasn't going to freeze any more, and was still probably too watery when I transferred it to the container to finish freezing! Wah! I know better!

Had the texture been perfect, the only other change I would make would be to substitute lemon or lime juice instead of the peel. I kept wondering what was rolling around on my tongue as I ate it and it turned out to be the peel. Was I supposed to strain it out? It doesn't really say so, but I would advise to do so, I'm not sure what it does anyway! I suppose it enhances the flavor somehow. I'll have to do more sorbet research to see if it's really necessary!

Watermelon Sorbet
Adapted from Everyday with Rachel Ray

4 cups pureed seedless watermelon
(Rachel says you'll need 5 pounds seedless watermelon that comes up to around 6 cups cut up. I have no idea if that's how much I used! but it's a good guide. Also, I don't believe seedless watermelon actually exists, even if it says so in the stores, don't stress over the seeds)
1/4 cup sugar
Grated peel of 1 lemon
Pinch salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
  1. Using a blender, puree the watermelon (seeds and all). You will need 4 cups watermelon puree.
  2. Strain the puree to get out as many of the seeds as you can. Don't go crazy.
  3. In a large saucepan, bring 1 cup watermelon puree, the sugar and lemon peel to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
  4. Strain once more to remove the peel.
  5. Season with the salt.
  6. Pour in the remaining 3 cups watermelon puree
  7. Whisk in the corn syrup until incorporated.
  8. Transfer to a metal bowl and put in the fridge until it cools down
  9. Process in an ice cream maker OR if you don't have an ice cream maker, use this method for freezing! (I used this on my most successful sorbet!)

Watermelon sorbet in a wine glass

Watermelon Sorbet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails