Among my spoils was a bag of Mexican cocoa which I made Mexican cocoa ice cream in honor of Cinco de Mayo with!
I'm still learning how to make ice cream well. I have issues with my custard separating and that seems to make it freeze hard as a rock after processing. But this time I went very slow and I think it came out pretty good!
Mexican Cocoa Ice Cream
From Savory Spice Shop
Yields 1 quart
Note: If you don't have an ice cream maker you can use this method for processing!
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tbsp. Mexican cocoa
1/4 tsp. cinnamon extract
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, slowly heat milk to boiling point, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into milk and thoroughly mix together.
- Turn heat to low and stir constantly until the mixture thickens and forms a thick film on the back of a wooden spoon. (Do not let it boil or the mixture will separate)
- Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When cool, transfer mixture to a bowl. Add cocoa and mix in thoroughly.
- Mix in extracts and cream.
- Refrigerate until cold, 1-2 hours.
- Process the ice cream in an ice cream maker for about 25 min, or make sure you have a lot of time and use this method