Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Mexican Cocoa Brownies

Hello all! I apologize for not having posted in awhile, I was on vacation for a weekend in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico!

And in honor of my Mexico vacation, I give you Mexican cocoa brownies!

Fudgey Mexican cocoa brownie

I didn't get the cocoa in Mexico though. I actually made these before I even left, I wanted to bake something easy and sweet, but special, so I used my Mexican cocoa from Savory Spice Shop! Mexican cocoa and chocolate is special because it's cocoa combined with almonds and cinnamon, very tasty. But if you can't find it in stores, I've found you a substitute! *Measure out the 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, and add 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon.

The recipe makes two 8 x 8 pans, or one 9 x 13 pan I'm sure, but since it's just Dave and I in the house I halved it and made one 8 x 8, and added some cinnamon extract for fun.

Mexican Cocoa Brownies
adapted from Savory Spice Shop

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon Mexican cocoa (or see substitution above*)
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon extract (optional)
  1. Line and butter a 8 x 8 inch square brownie pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter
  3. Beast in sugars, oil and syrup until blended.
  4. Stir in eggs one at a time until blended.
  5. Stir in cocoa, flour and extract until blended.
  6. Spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool in pan before cutting into bars!
Mexican cocoa brownie

Nearly 1/3 didn't even make it to morning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails