Eeehhhh...okay for a first try! I need more practice with finding the right consistency for piping and flooding. And I need more patience. I got tired of coloring and mixing and stirring! Ah! They took me all weekend! I rolled them out and baked them Friday. Then Saturday I started the decorating. And then I ran out of royal icing and had to wait for the first round of icing to dry, so I finished them Sunday. Finally!
If you want to laugh here are the links what I used for inspiration. Wilton chick and bunny cookies.
I'll keep practicing! Both the cookie and icing came out nice and lemony though!
Lemon Cut Out Cookies
Adapted from Bake at 350
For the cookies
3 cups unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 sticks butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, lemon juice and zest and beat until combined.
- Slowly add in the flour until dough is formed.
- Roll out on a floured surface and cut into shapes about 3/8 to 1/4" thick.
- Place on parchment lined sheets. Freeze 5-10 minutes on the sheets before placing in the oven (this will help prevent cookies from spreading).
- Bake 9-12 minutes, depending on cookie cutter size.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
4 tablespoons meringue powder
scant 1/2 cup water
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- Combine the meringue powder and water and beat until foamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar on low and beat on low to combine.
- Add in the corn syrup and lemon extract
- Increase speed to medium high and beat for about 5-10 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Add more water a teaspoon at a time if consistency needs adjusting to be pipable.