Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Rye Bread Rolls

I love bread, I love it. I found this recipe for rye bread rolls that look way easy. So one night when Dave handled dinner, I came home and decided I was going to whip them up. It was my first attempt at any sort of yeast bread!

Fresh rye rolls

I think they came out pretty good! I followed all the instructions, kneaded, let it rise, knead, let rise, then popped em in the oven. Then I started googling baking rye bread and got scared that the recipe and method I found was too good to be true. Maybe it was beginners luck though because they were delicious. They don't quite keep the same past a day or two though, so eat em quick!

My first yeast bread

Rye Bread Rolls
As posted by Divine Baking

2 1/2 cups rye flour
4 - 4 1/2 cups white flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups water
  1. Sift the rye flour and 4 cups white flour into a large bowl
  2. Add the salt and yeast and whisk to combine
  3. Create a hole in the center of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk, honey and water.
  4. Mix until a dough has formed.
  5. Flour a flat surface and knead the dough for about 10 minutes until soft.
  6. Place the dough in a oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise for 60 - 90 minutes (until dough has doubled).
  7. Knead the dough and divide into 10 rolls.
  8. Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
  9. Flatten each roll slightly. Cover with a plastic wrap and leave to rise for 45 minutes.
  10. Preheat oven to 400 F, and place a pan filled with water on the bottom of the oven (will create steam in oven)
  11. Sprinkle some flour on the rolls and slash an X in the top of each roll with a sharp knife.
  12. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until the rolls have browned.
  13. Let cool on a cooling rack.
  14. Eat them!
Rye roll success

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails